"St Mary's Church (German)
on the corner of Third and Mulberry Streets, is the oldest German Roman Catholic church in
St. Louis, or, probably, in the West. The corner stone of this edifice was laid July 25,
1843, by Bishop Andrew Blane, of New Orleans. On the 15th of October, 1844, the building
was consecrated to divine worship, the Rev. John Simon, afterward bishop of Buffalo, New
York, with the permission of the bishop, officiating. It is a handsome brick building,
substantial in its outward appearance, Roman in its style of architecture, and beautifully
decorated and frescoed on the interior. Rev. William Faeber is pastor, and Rev. William
Pigge, assistant. For the archiepiscopal chancery are Very Rev. H Muehlsiepen, V.G., and
Rev. H. Van der Lauder, chancellor.
St. Mary's Parochial Schools are adjoining the church. They are substantial brick
buildings, which date back to 1855. About 600 children are in attendance, under the
instruction of sisters of Notre Dame and one securlar teacher."