"St Vincent's Church
is situated on the corner of Ninth Street and Park Avenue. It is a massive brick edifice
of the Roman style of architecture, and never fails to attract the attention of the
passing stranger. It is 64 feet by 150, the transept being 180 feet. In the centre of the
roof is a vast cupula, handsomely decorated with life-size pictures of the four
evangelists. The artist has also paid some attention to the sanctuary, which is
beautifully frescoed. The corner stone of this church was laid in 1843 - a year fruitful
in church buildings - and it was consecrated in 1845. The first parish priest was the Rev.
John Simon, late bishop of Buffalo, New York, who is looked upon as the founder of the
parish. The church building cost $30,000. The priests who preside over this parish are all
members of the Congregational Mission, established 200 years ago by St. Vincent de Paul.
It has ever remained under their supervision. The superior of the community in St. Louis
is Rev. Thomas Burke. Father Hennessy is pastor to the English portion of the
congregation, and Father Uhland of the Germans.
St. Vincent's Parish Schools are German and English in their character, and in a most
flourishing condition. Under the direction of the Fathers of St. Vincent de Paul, they
have always been advancing. The boys' school is a handsome three-story brick, on the
corner of Ninth and Park Avenue, built in 1859, and contains 500 boys, and is under the
direciton of the Christian Brothers. The girls' parochial school is on the corner of
Eighth and Marion Streets. It is a two-story brick, with a basement. This school is
conducted by the sisters of St. Joseph, who reside in the building. German and English are
taught in both schools. "