.

 

 

 

 

 

 

ship4.gif (1761 bytes)

Emsland Parishes

Kirchspiel Meppen

  
home.gif (868 bytes)  Emslanders to the American Mid-West
placeHolder.gif (861 bytes) placeHolder.gif (861 bytes) placeHolder.gif (861 bytes)

Meppen - St. Vitus Parish

mapKspMeppen.jpg (43302 bytes)

The map notes the location of villages that made up Meppen parish in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of the villages mentioned with  MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.

The image of the parish church of Meppen was taken from Meppen website http://www.meppen.de/330.htm   (under Sehenswuerdigkeiten.)

Meppen was founded as a mission station about 780 AD. A church was built there by at least 802 and in 835 Meppia was given to Kloster Corvey by Emperor Ludwig the Pius.

The Propsteikirche in Meppen, with St Vitus as patron saint along with St Margaretha, was built in 1461-71 and lengthened in 1866-69. The church was damaged in 1845 from artillery bombardment and was not repaired enough for use until 4 years later. Further renovation took place in 1981-83.

 
Kirchspiel (parish) Meppen in the 19th century contained the following villages or small towns:

Backemude
Bergham
Borken
Duerenkaempe
Einhaus (by Geeste)
Esterfeld
Geeste
Gross Fullen
Haar/Teglingen
Hemsen
Holthausen
Klein Fullen
Meppen
Noedike
Roheide
Ruehle
Ruehler Spiek
Schlagbruecken
Schoeninghsdorf
Schwefingen
Teglingen
Uebermuehlen
Varloh

MeppenPropsteikirche.jpg (19917 bytes)

St Vitus Church
(Propsteikirche)

Of the villages that originally belonged to Meppen parish, Hesepe was detached to become a separate parish before 1365. The other villages remained with Meppen until the 19th century when Ruehlertwist was made part of the parish of St Georg in Twist sometime before 1824. More villages were separated from Meppen in the 20th century - Fullen in 1907, Geeste in 1910, Schoeninghsdorf in 1922, Hemsen in 1952, Teglingen in 1957, Ruehle and Ruehlermoor in 1964, Varloh in 1967 and Schwefingen in 1985. In the immediate vicinity of the town of Meppen a few farm clusters were attached to Bokeloh in 1951 and Esterfeld acquired its own parish in 1953 along with Meppen-Neustadt.

Most information taken from Handbuch des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches Generalikariat Osnabrueck.

top of page


Links pertaining to Kirchspiel Meppen 

top of page


[Return to Catholic Parishes in Emsland in the Nineteenth Century]
[home]


Comments or additional information concerning
emigrants listed on this website can be sent to Barbara Salibi.
Contact info is at the bottom of Home page.