The map notes the location of villages that made up Herzlake parish
in the 19th century.
For a current detailed map of this area search on any of the villages mentioned
with MapQuest or click on location with http://www.vukv.weser-ems.de/stadtplan/stadtplan.htm.
The image of St. Sixtus church was taken from website http://www.werlte.de/186.htm
|Kirchspiel (parish) Werlte in the 19th century included the following
villages or small towns:
|Werlte was referred to in 11th century Corveyer documents as Werelidde
and belonged to the parish of Soegel but was an independent parish by the early 12th
century. The village of Vrees, known as Weres in 947, belonged to Werlte
throughout most of the 19th century but had its own chapel and became a parish in 1871.
Its parish church St Nikolaus was built in 1893-94. The village of Lahn belonged to the
parish of Werlte throughout the 19th century. Their church of St Martin was built in 1850
but its parish records don't begin until 1892-1911. The village of Hueven belonged to
Werlte throughout the 19th century but now has it's own parish, St Bonifatius, with
a church bilt in 1935. The village has a long history dating back to 919 when it, as Huvenni
was a part of the parish of Bokeloh. In 1350 it belonged to Soegel and in 1442 to Werlte.
A chapel was erectred in 1856/57 on the site of the present-day church. Harrenststaette
and Hueven were separated from Werlte in 1910. Parish records for Werlte, baptism,
marriage and death, exist from the 1670s.
Most information taken from Handbuch
des Bistums Osnabrueck, compiled by Hermann Stieglitz and published by Bischoefliches
top of page